View Uganda in a larger map

Monday 11 July 2011

Who, Where, Why, and Why the Blog

My name is Ethan Fowler, and I'm a student studying Systems Engineering at Warwick University. I'm very into Development Engineering, and co-founded Warwick's branch of Engineers Without Borders in my first year. Next year is my last, and I'll be co-president of the branch.

This project isn't actually affiliated with EWB in any way; Dr. Colin Oram, of Warwick's Development Technology Unit, has begun using his extensive Ugandan experience to supervise what are to be annual projects in the country. Each team of around 7 students choose the next, through a series of interviews, with some members staying on for a second year.

I was lucky enough to be selected, and the project begins in earnest in 3 weeks. The immediate goal is to electrify Mabwe, a trading town just east of the Mountains of the Moon, in Western Uganda. The long term goal is to establish the knowledge and confidence in micro-hydro electricity generation within Uganda, such that the technology spreads of its own accord, without Western interference.

Before that, however, I will be taking part in the university's African Field Course module, initially surveying a separate potential micro-hydro site, before moving on to investigate the cause of an existing scheme's energy saving light-bulbs' untimely demise.

The main reason for this blog is for my own records and future reminscence; if others find it interesting, even better. I fly tomorrow, on the 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment